The Battle of Galveston or the Second Battle of Galveston was a naval and land battle which occurred on January 1, 1863, during the American Civil War when Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. John B. Magruder attacked and expelled occupying Union troops from the city of Galveston, Texas.
The First Battle of Galveston was a naval engagement fought on October 4, 1862, during early Union attempts to blockade Galveston Harbor.
The Neptune arrived shortly thereafter. While the Neptune was quickly disabled, the Bayou City succeeded in capturing the USS Harriet Lane. .
During this time, the USS Westfield was grounded on a sandbar, and was unable to be freed. A three-hour truce was called for by Magruder, but Union Fleet Commander William B. Renshaw, ignoring the negotiation offer, attempted to destroy the grounded Westfield with explosives, rather than let it fall into enemy hands.
Renshaw and several Union troops were subsequently killed when the explosives were set off too early. Union troops on shore were convinced that their own ships were surrendering and, therefore, laid down their arms. The remaining U.S. ships did not surrender and succeeded in retreating to Union-controlled New Orleans. 
- Major General John B. Magruder
- C.S. Bayou City
- C.S. Neptune
- USS Harriet Lane
- "Confederate Ships - C.S. Army gun boat Bayou City". Naval Historical Center, Department of the U.S. Navy (13 October 2000), www.history.navy.mil. http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-us-cs/csa-sh/csash-ag/bayou-ct.htm. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- Alwyn Barr. "Galveston, Battle of". The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Assoc. (June 6, 2001), www.tshaonline.org. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/GG/qeg1.html. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- "The Battle of Galveston (1 January 1863)". Lone Star Junction (1996), www.lsjunction.com. http://www.lsjunction.com/events/galvestn.htm. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- National Park Service battle description
- The Battle of Galveston (1 January 1863) at Lone Star Junction
- Battle of Galveston at The Handbook of Texas Online
|File:Sabres.svg||This article about a battle of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
ca:Batalla de Galveston es:Batalla de Galveston ja:第二次ガルベストンの戦い