|9th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Mounted Infantry (3 Years)|
Illinois state flag
|Active||March 15, 1863 to July 9, 1865|
The 9th Illinois Infantry was converted to the 9th Illinois Volunteer Mounted Infantry Regiment on March 15, 1863. The regiment fought in the Battle of Athens (1864).
The regiment was mustered out on July 9, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 5 officers and 211 enlisted men killed in action or mortally wounded and 1 officer and 200 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 417 fatalities.
- Colonel Augustus Mersy - Mustered out with the regiment.
- 9th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf1.htm#9th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/009-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|