|86th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||August 27, 1862 to June 21, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Perryville|
Battle of Stone's River
Battle of Chickamauga
Siege of Chattanooga
Battle of Lookout Mountain
Battle of Missionary Ridge
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
Battle of Bentonville
The 86th Illinois Infantry was organized at Peoria, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on August 27, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out on June 6, 1865 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois on June 21, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 3 officers and 73 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 1 officers and 93 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 175 fatalities.
- Colonel David D. Irons - Died Nashville, Tennessee August 11, 1863.
- Lieutenant Colonel Allen L. Fahnestock - Mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf7.htm#86th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/086-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|