|55th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
Illinois state flag
|Active||October 31, 1861 to August 14, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Shiloh|
Siege of Corinth
Battle of Chickasaw Bayou
Battle of Fort Hindman (Arkansas Post)
Battle of Snyder's Bluff
Battle of Jackson (MS)
Battle of Champion Hill
Siege of Vicksburg
Battle of Collierville
Third Battle of Chattanooga
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Battle of Atlanta
Battle of Ezra Church
Battle of Jonesborough
Battle of Allatoona Pass
March to the Sea
Battle of Fort McAllister II
Battle of Bentonville
The 55th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry was an infantry regiment that served in the Union Army during the American Civil War. The regiment is sometimes referred to as the Canton Rifles or the Douglas Brigade 2nd Regiment.
The 55th Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on October 31, 1861. Training continued at Benton Barracks, Missouri. The 55th was part of Sherman's Yazoo Expedition.
The regiment was mustered out on August 14, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered casualties including nine officers, 149 enlisted men who were killed in action, or mortally wounded, and two officers and 127 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 286 fatalities.
- Colonel David Stuart - promoted to brigadier general on November 29, 1862, U.S. Senate refused to confirm appointment, resigned April 3, 1863
- Colonel Oscar Malmborg
- Memphis and Charleston Railroad
- Milton L. Haney
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf5.htm#55th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/055-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
- The Story of the Fifty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War
- Benton Barracks, The Missouri Civil War Museum
- 55th Illinois Infantry at Vicksburg
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|