|3rd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry|
|File:Flag of Illinois.svg|
|Active||August 27, 1861 to October 18, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Pea Ridge|
Battle of Port Gibson
Battle of Champion Hill
Siege of Vicksburg
Battle of Nashville
The 3rd Illinois Cavalry was mustered into service at Camp Butler, Illinois on August 27, 1861.
The regiment was mustered out on October 18, 1865.
The regiment suffered 8 officers and 50 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 3 officers and 173 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 234 fatalities. See also summary of casualties at 
- Colonel Eugene A. Carr - promoted to brigadier general March 7, 1862
- Colonel Lafayette McCrillis - mustered out September 5, 1864
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilcav1.htm#3rd The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/cav003-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|