|1st Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Cavalry|
Flag of Minnesota
|Active||October 1862 to December 1863|
|Engagements||Battle of Big Mound|
Battle of Dead Buffalo Lake
The regiment was mustered in at St. Cloud, St. Peter, and Fort Snelling for one year's service between October and December 1862, and the men were mustered out between October and December 1863. The 1st Minnesota Cavalry served entirely in Minnesota and the Dakota Territory, guarding the frontier against the hostile Sioux Indians.
Battles and campaigns
- Sibley's Expedition against Indians in Dakota Territory June 16 to September 14, 1863.
- Battle of Big Mound, D. T., July 24, 1863.
- Battle of Dead Buffalo Lake July 26, 1863.
- Stony Lake July 28, 1863.
- Operations along the Missouri River July 28 to 30, 1863.
Casualties and total strength
The 1st Minnesota Cavalry lost 2 officers and 4 enlisted men killed in action or died of wounds received in battle and an additional 31 enlisted men died of disease.Total fatalities were 37.
List of Minnesota Civil War Units
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|